Monday 18 January 2016

ENGLISH TRIVIA - 8 | IMPORTANT VERBS - 1


The Verb To Be
Probably the best known verb in the world: "To be or not to be..."
Forms of To Be
Present
Past
Perfect
Form
Continuous
Form
I
am
was
have / had been
am / was being
he / she / it
is
was
has / had been
is / was being
you / we / they
are
were
have / had been
are / were being
Normally we use the verb to be to show the status or characteristics of something or someone (as a stative verb). It says what I am, what you are or what something is.
PRESENT SIMPLE (STATIVE)
am a teacher.You are a student.He /She is a student.It is a car.We are all teachers.They are students.
PAST SIMPLE (STATIVE)
was a student.You were a student.He /She was a student.It was a nice day yesterday.We were all students once.They were students.
FUTURE SIMPLE (STATIVE)
will be a student.You will be a teacher.He / She will be a teacher.It will be nice later.We will be teachers.They will bestudents.
When used with the present participle of other verbs it describes actions that are or were still continuing - auxiliary verb be [+ ing form of the main verb].
PRESENT CONTINUOUS (ACTIVE)
am being silly.You are being silly.He /She is being silly.It is being silly.We are being silly.They are being silly.
PAST CONTINUOUS (ACTIVE)
was being silly.You were beingsilly.He /She was being silly.It was being silly.We were being silly.They were being silly.
The verb to be is used to create simple yes/no questions by simply inverting the order of subject and the “To be” verb.
For example:-
I am a teacher. (Statement)
Am I a teacher? (Question)
QuestionPositive StatementNegative Statement (possible short forms)
Singular
Am I ...?I am ... (I'm ...)I am not ... (I'm not ...)
Is he / she / it ...?He / She / It is ...(He's/She's/It's ...)He / She / It is not (He / She / It isn't... // He's / She's / It's not ...)
Are you ...?You are ...(You're...)You are not (You're not ...// You aren't...)
Am I being ...?I am being ...I am not being ... (I'm not being...)
Is he / she / it being...?He / She / It is being ... (He's/She's/It's being ...)He / She / It is not being ... (He / She / It isn't being...// He/she/it's not being...)
Are you being ...?You are being ... (You're being ...)You are not being ... (You're not being ... // You aren't being...)
Was I ...?I was ...I was not. ..
Was he / she / it ...?He / She / It was ...He / She / It was not ... (He / She / It wasn't)
Were you ...?You were ...You were not ... (You weren't ...)
Was I being ...?I was being ...I was not being (I wasn't being...)
Was he / she / it being...?He / She / It was being ...He / She / It was not being ... (He / She / It wasn't being... )
Were you being ...?You were being ...You were not being ... (You weren't being ...)
Will I be ...?I will be ... (I'll be ...)I will not be ... (I'll not be ...)
Will he / she / it be ...?He / She / It will be ...(He'll / She'll / It'll be ...)He / She / It will not be (He / She / It won't be ... // He'll not be / She'll not be / It'll not be ...)
Will you be ...?You will be ...(You'll be ...)You will not be (You won't be ... // You'll not be ...)
Plural
Are we / you / they?We / You / They are (We're / You're / They're)We / You /They are not (We're / You're / They're not // We / You / They aren't)
Are we / you / they being ...?We / You / They are being ... (We're / You're / They're)We / You /They are not being (We're / You're / They're not being // We / You / They aren't being)
Were we / you / they ...?We / You / They were ...We / You / They were not ... (We / You / They weren't ...)
Were we / you / they being ...?We / You / They were being ...We / You / They were not being ... (We / You / They weren't being ...)
Will we / you / they be ...?We / You / They will be ...(We'll / You'll They'll be ...)We / You / They will not be (We / You / They won't be ... // We'll / You'll They'll not be ...)
Examples
Am/AreIs
Question - ? "Am I disturbing you?""Is this your coat"
Positive Answer - Yes"Yes you are.""Yes it is"
Negative Answer - No"No you're not.""No it isn't"
Was / WereWas
Question - ?"Was I disturbing you?""Was that your old house?"
Positive Answer - Yes"Yes you were .""Yes it was "
Negative Answer - No"No you weren't.""No it wasn't."
!Note - The verb to be is also used when forming the passive voice.
ThankJu!!

S W A G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.